- ← Back to all articles
- NEWS ARTICLENew poll shows tight U.S. Senate race in Indiana
- NEWS ARTICLE‘Unfiltered’ Mayor running for US Senate
- NEWS ARTICLEMcDermott campaign poll shows tight Indiana Senate race
- NEWS ARTICLEA few minutes with McDermott
- NEWS ARTICLEYoung, McDermott on the abortion debate
‘Unfiltered’ Mayor running for US Senate
Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. wasn’t going to let a chain barrier stop him from getting to a sign post marking the Illinois-Indiana border during a tour he was giving of the city of roughly 77,000 along Lake Michigan.
Before any of his passengers could utter a word, he threw his bright, blue-striped 2010 Mustang Shelby GT500 into reverse and went off road near the property of a data center he had lured to the city at the site of a dirty coal plant along the coast. The car, one of two Mustangs he and his wife bought after he lost his 2020 1st Congressional District election, bounced and dipped through the uneven tall grass, every bump noticeable in the sports car.